Laketown Township is home to Gibson Cemetery. The cemetery is located at 6487 138th Avenue. The Laketown Board of Health purchased a portion of the land in 1872 from Joseph and Sarah Blades.
What is known as the Old Cemetery has a warranty deed recorded in 1912. Then James Boyce sold the remaining acreage to Laketown with a warranty deed being recorded in 1965. There are four total acres in the cemetery.
Gibson Cemetery is registered with the Michigan Tombstone Transcription Project. For a partial list of burials in Gibson Cemetery, please visit http://www.migenweb.org/allegan/cemeteries/Gibson.htm
Gibson Cemetery is not a fully manicured cemetery. The township is responsible for periodic mowing and upkeep. There is a water well on site.
Before the arrival of cold weather, please remove all flower baskets and momentoes from the gravesides in the cemetery.
For information on plot purchase, please call Wendy or Jenny at the Laketown Township office at (616) 335-3050.
Cost for Laketown Township residents/tax payer: $100.00 per plot for the first two plots purchased; and $500.00 for additional plots.
Cost for non-residents/non-tax payer: $600.00 per plot.
Gibson Cemetery Rules & Regulations
- Nothing shall be planted on the grave area i.e. trees, shrubs or perennials by owners of burial rights allowed.
- Be courteous to each family. Remove flowers, wreaths or small mementoes as they become faded or unsightly. If not done in a timely manner, they will be removed by the cemetery sexton.
- Residents may not purchase lots for non-residents.
- All fees must be paid prior to receipt of deed.
- A lot can be purchased for cremation. Each lot can accommodate up to four cremations.
- A burial vault is required for all burials.